Sunday, July 22, 2012

YUMMY COOKIES!

When my middle son was recovering from his battle from cancer (which he won!) he started to research the effects of diet on the bodies well being.  He spent many hours on line reading articles and watching documentaries about food and nutrition.  An amazing undertaking for anyone going through chemo treatments never mind a 16 year old boy.  I've said it before and I will say it again he is my hero!  Well after all his research he decided he was going to live a Vegan lifestyle.  I had heard of this before but I certainly didn't know enough about it to start making meals for him.  So I did a lot of research also.  I read the articles my son found and and watched the documentaries he discovered.  I found out that vegans eat no meat, fish, dairy,eggs,white sugar,honey, and marshmallow.  Phew!  This wasn't going to be easy.  But the more I read the more I was determined to go this route.  So my son and I became vegan.  My other two boys haven't but  because I no longer cook meat (except on special birthday requests or bar-b-ques for their friends) they eat a lot healthier also.  It's still difficult to come up with meal ideas but thanks to the ever growing popularity of eating healthy there are many websites with wonderful vegan recipes on them.  So whenever I discover one of them I thought I would share it with you.  As a matter of fact I'm going to make every Sunday vegan recipe share day!  If you have any great vegan recipes that you would like to share please do!  Todays' recipe is for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.  It's very simple and takes only 6 ingredients!
Yup only 6 oatmeal, cinnamon, salt, bananas,applesauce,and raisins.  Most people always have these ingredients in their kitchen.  In a medium bowl combine 11/2 cup oatmeal,2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. salt.  In a separate bowl mash 2 bananas and stir in 1/2 cup applesauce.  Put the wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Add 1/2 cup raisins and mix.  Drop by big spoonfuls on parchment lined cookie sheets.
 I made them big so they would be like a breakfast cookie,  You could make them smaller for a snack size.  Then put them in a 350 oven for 25 minutes.  When they come out you have a delicious healthy breakfast cookie.  Everyone loved them including the non-vegans!
  You could substitute the raisins for any dried fruit.  Cranberries would be delicious!  I got this easy recipe here www.glowkitchen.com.  There are a lot of great recipes here.  So take a look and see if you find something for your family.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment