Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Another First

Yesterday I experienced another first without my mom event.  It was my birthday and for the first time in 49 years she wasn't here to wish me happy birthday.  She always called me or came over at 11:31 am. the time I was born.  When I lived far away from her she would send me my card and presents and we would talk on the phone for over an hour.  She always made it feel like she was right there.  Later when I moved back near home to live we always spent my birthdays together.  Her and my dad would come over to my house with my card and presents.  Usually they would take me and my boys out to eat "where ever you want to go." they would say.  Then we would come home and have cake.  There was always a cake that my mom would either bake or by  in the store.  There was always pink flowers on it or a cute picture.  One year when I was about 14 or 15 my mom had the bakery decorate it with a picture of a girl with blond hair wearing a pink bikini.  "It's you!", my mom beamed when I saw it, "because your my little pink girl!"  She always made sure it had pink decorations on it.  While my dad was always there and smiling and wishing me a happy birthday too, it was my mom who pulled the whole event together.  This year as my birthday approached I knew it was going to be different and very difficult.  I wasn't going to make a big deal about it.  But about a week before my birthday my dad asked me what I would like to do on my birthday.  I thought for a minute then he suggested we all go up to Lake George, a place we all love.  I thought that would be a great idea.  I realized then that my dad needed something fun to look forward to as much as I did.  He is after all missing his wife of 54 years.  So yesterday my dad came over to pick me and the boys up( my oldest who has his own apartment came home to spend a long weekend with us, best birthday present ever!)  My  dad had a card for me in a bright pink envelope!  Inside was the cutest card, it had strawberry shortcake on the outside and when you open the card it says in a girls voice have a berry wonderful birthday from your friend strawberry shortcake.  I absolutely loved strawberry shortcake when I was little I had sheets and a bedspread with her on it.  I even had a lunchbox with her on it.  I was telling my dad this and he said "oh really?, well when I opened it I thought the voice sounded just like you and I just had to get it."  How cute is he?!  I love my card.  He also gave me some nice gift certificates to a few restaurants that I like.  So then we were off to Lake George.  The day was absolutely beautiful and sunny.  When we got there we walked around a litttle bit then got our tickets and got on the boat for a 2 and a half hour island cruise.

We saw some beautiful islands and summer homes on the cruise.



We really had a wonderful time!  After the cruise we strolled around a little more and found a nice place to eat outside.  After that it was time to head home.  I really had a beautiful day with my three boys and my dad.  The one thing I didn't have though was a cake.  The boys wanted to make me one but I said no guys I think I'll skip the cake this year.  They didn't push they understood.  My mom always got me my cake and I just couldn't bear to have one this year. Although I did feel her with us several times yesterday.   I know she was looking down saying "Happy Birthday my little pink girl!"  Between my boys and my wonderful dad and the watchful eye of my mom I felt truly blessed and loved yesterday.  You can't ask for a better birthday than  that.

No comments:

Post a Comment