Friday, June 29, 2012

Pink Toes!!!!

Do you want to know what's making me happy right now?  The sight of my newly painted pink toes!!




To me it's not officially summer until I have painted my toes.  Put the patio furniture on the deck, take the pool cover off, paint my toes Ta-Da! Summer!!  My mom was always the same way she always had her toes painted in the summer.  I have some very happy childhood memories of the two of us sitting in the living room with pieces of tissue between each toe as she painted our toes.  Always Pink!  Always with polish that my mom had bought from our Avon lady.  (remember when everyone had an Avon lady come to their house?)  I don't paint my toes in the winter because here in upstate New York my toes are usually bundled under two pairs of socks.  My feet are always cold in the winter.  But in the summer I am usually barefoot or I am wearing flip-flops.  So a couple of days ago I went to my local K-mart and looked at the nail polish.  That simple act like so many things made me miss my mom so much I thought I was going to cry.  I almost didn't pick one out then on the bottom shelf I saw a bunch of nail polish for 67 cents!  And sitting there was this pretty bottle of pink polish.

So I bought it and that night as I sat in my room alone and painted my nails I thought of my mom and I smiled  and knew she was smiling with me and approved of the color that I picked out and I didn't feel alone at all.  That's why the sight of my pretty pink toes makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment